These Blueberry Muffins are a hit in our family.
The first time I baked this recipe together with my daughter, she was only 18 months. Even when she was that tiny she could do many of the steps of this recipe with very little help. Now she is over 2 years old and I see that her gesture is more precise and she now wants to do everything by herself.
Here is the recipe (found here and adapted)
- 200 gr floor
- 50 gr sugar (I use 50 ml agave syrup instead)
- 1 egg
- 80 ml olive oil
- 100 ml vegetable milk (I use almond or coconut milk)
- 10 gr baking powder (one sachet)
- 250 blueberries
- 1 pinch of salt (I don't use it)
- optional: 1 vanilla pod or the peel from 1 lemon
There are 6 steps and 5 of them could be done by a toddler.
1. In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients: floor and baking powder
+ sugar and salt (if you use these ingredients)
2. In another bowl, whisk the wet ingredients: oil, milk, egg
+ agave syrop (if you use it instead of sugar). You can add the vanilla seeds or the lemon peel here if you want to use some
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Use a fork to incorporate the wet ingredients and don't mix too much (This will probably be the hardest thing to do with your toddler. Mixing is so much fun, right?)
4. Softly incorporate the blueberries
5. Pour in your muffin pans ( I use ceramic ramekins). This step is a lot of fun for a toddler. There will be a lot of cleaning afterwards ;)
6. Bake at 180°C for 20- 30 minutes
Enjoy your blueberry muffins with a cup of tea.
If I'm being honest, cooking with a toddler it is a lot of work, especially in the beginning. I need to prepare the ingredients in advance, pay attention to each step of the recipe, guide my little one and at the same time refrain myself from interfering. And there is a lot of cleaning involved. Yes, she helps cleaning now, but still it's extra work for me than when I do it alone. Nevertheless we do this almost every week and I live cooking and baking with my little one. We have a lot of fun together and she learns so much from it.