Although this year springtime is quite cold here, we had already some sunny days that encouraged us to start a Spring Table. Today, I’m delighted to share it with you. You might have already seen our Autumn Table and the Winter one. This spring, the playroom has changed a bit, as I created an Art Space and a Loose Parts/Building space. There was not much space left, so we had to be creative with a mini-spring table. But if you live in a small flat (like I did in Paris ;) you might love this idea of the « mini-table ».
We used a tiny table and a blue scarf as the starting point. Then we have selected three books that are displayed on the table, the others are stored underneath:
- « Spring » by Gerda Muller- a book with no text and some beautiful vintage drawings that remind me of my own childhood
- "Frühlings-Wimmelbuch" ("Le livre du printemps") by Rotraut Susanne Berner- another book with no text and with plenty of details. We spend many hours looking at it and we always discover something new
- « Une année avec les cigognes » by Thomas Müller
I realize that this time we have three German authors on our Nature table, which makes me smile because it looks like, unconsciously, we are influenced by our life in Germany ;)
The top of the nature table is rather Waldorf-inspired, whereas the lower part is Montessori. We have a little Waldorf doll and a sheep. These lovely characters are hand-made and we bought them at a Waldorf-market in a local kindergarden. We added a wooden stork and a wooden hen by Holztiger (also Waldorf-inspired toys) flowers, little rocks and pussy willow buds collected by my daughter.
On the lower part we have a Montessori-inspired Nature Table. With some books about growing a vegetable garden:
- « How does my garden grow » (« Comment ça pousse? »/ Was wächst denn da?) by Gerda Muller
- "Emi et les tournessol" from the collection "mes petites histoires Montessori" (available only in French)
- "Ten seeds" ("Dix petites graines") by Ruth Brown
These books are realistic and they initiate children to gardening. We also have "The flower" and "The carrot" from the « My first discoveries" collection ("Mes premières découvertes). We added some books about seasons and changes in the nature: "Tap the magic tree", "Tree" "Bringing the outside in". I think that they bring a bigger dimension, about spring being a phase in the rhythm of the nature.
Along with these books we have a little basket with treasures from our garden and a magnifying glass for observation.
We love our spring table but we love our garden even more. Full of mystery and new discoveries now that spring is here: snail shells, moss, feathers and little flowers:
Happy Spring everyone!